Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Fabric Shopping in Nassau!





So... If you've been following the chatter on our facebook page lately you may have noticed that I left the updating of Sew Can She in the very creative hands of Sarah from Blue Susan Makes while my husband and I ran away for the weekend. Now that we're back I can tell you we went to the Bahamas! 

We went on a cruise that we've been on before and we just keep repeating because of the price and the easy weekend itinerary. The main stop was in Nassau and to tell the truth, I felt like I had already seen and done all that I would enjoy there until the thought occurred to me that they must have a fabric shop or two. 



So as soon as we got off the ship and exited customs I looked around for a local woman who might point me in the right direction.  We found someone and she was friendly enough to even walk us to the necessary  bus stop. Then, after a 15 minute bus ride we arrived at our destination - which was well off the beaten track for tourists like us. 



Check out the Home Fabrics store on Madiera Street!  What an adventure, we were the only non-locals there. 
And, to my delight the entire first floor of this two story fabric shop was on sale for 50% off!




They didn't have carts so my husband had to lug around all the bolts that I fell in love with. (I wish I had gotten a pic.) That first floor had an amazing selection of linen and wool suiting fabrics at super prices. Plus I found an adorable knit I had to have.







Here's the sweet cutting lady who helped me. Her name was Loretta Hepburn <3.  


After browsing some more upstairs to be sure I had every thing I needed, we checked out and went outside to wait for the bus again. 










Here's one last pic taken from the bus stop. 













Since we've gotten home, I've googled fabric stores in Nassau and found several others I need to visit the next time we go.   Any one else up for a Bahamas cruise and fabric shopping in Nassau???




post signature

2 comments:

  1. Yes, would love to go! I really like the top Loretta is wearing, the colors and pattern, I wonder if she made it herself? Very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet she did make that top. I got the feeling that sewing was not a lost art over there. Thanks for the compliment, maybe someday we can plan a Sew Can She cruise, lol!

    ReplyDelete