Monday, August 27, 2012

Sewing Ruby's Simple Washcloths


I have a baby shower coming up on Saturday so I thought I'd try out Ruby's adorable Simple Washcloth Tutorial. It's also in our 'Home Love' archives here.

Oh my goodness, what fun! I have tons of cotton fabric around, but I had to make a trip to the big-box fabric store for the cotton chenille. With a coupon I got 1/2 yard for under $3. Yay! 










When I got home I realized that the pale blue chenille (the baby is a boy) would look just lovely with my organic cotton scraps from my last Fabricworm project. 









The biggest change (if you could call it that) I made to this tutorial was using a 7" inch template instead of 6". I really like the size. Maybe I am too used to cutting squares with a ruler and rotary cutter, but this tracing and 'sloppy' cutting was a blast. I could even watch TV and do it!

So here are my 'supplies' all set up next to my machine. Sewing them up was a breeze.






My only annoyance came during the topstitching. I insisted on sewing them with the quilting cotton side up even though my feed dogs didn't work very well with the chenille on the bottom. I thought using my walking foot would help, but it didn't :(. I know, I should have just tried turning them over, but I'm stubborn.






I'm so excited to give these away on Saturday and hear everyone ask, 'you made these???' 









post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment